Objectives of Salt Reduction Programme
This work started in late 2003 with the following objectives:
1. Raise awareness in the general food industry of the salt and health issue, the role of processed food in salt intake and the health gains to the Irish population of reducing salt in processed food.
2. Focus on the manufacturers of food in the food groups that contribute most salt to the diet, and secure gradual and sustained reductions in the salt content of their food working on a united front across each sector.
3. Bring on board the manufacturers of food in other food groups that contribute to salt intake and secure gradual and sustained reductions in the salt content of their food working on a united front across each sector.
4. Work with the food industry to bring about the universal labelling of salt in packaged foodstuffs.
5. Target the retailers of food who set specifications for own brand processed food and also have strong influence on manufacturers through their buying power. Secure gradual and sustained salt reductions in own brand processed food and start to focus on stocking low salt options of branded processed food.
6. Target catering representative bodies and companies to secure a reduction in the use of salt in prepared food eaten outside the home.
7. Work with other State bodies who's role it is to increase consumer understanding of the salt and health issue and bring about behavioral change in consumers.
Last reviewed: 6/3/2009