The FSAI takes all reasonable steps to ensure food meets the highest standards of food safety.
Our Role - Your Resource
The Food Safety Authority of Ireland (FSAI) was established under the Food Safety Authority of Ireland Act, 1998. This Act was enacted in July 1998 and came into effect on 1st January 1999.
The principal function of the Food Safety Authority of Ireland is to protect consumers by leading a collaborative food safety community to continuously raise food standards and create a culture of excellence.
The Authority is a statutory, independent and science-based body, dedicated to protecting public health and consumer interests in the area of food safety and hygiene. It comes under the aegis of the Minister for Health and currently has a board of ten. It also has a 15 member Scientific Committee that assists and advises the Board. Therefore, decisions relating to food safety and hygiene take account of the latest and best scientific advice and information available.
Key Functions of the Authority
We have national responsibility for co-ordinating the enforcement of food safety legislation in Ireland. The FSAI is responsible for:
- Safe food for everyone
- Accurate food information that can be trusted
- Empowered consumers making informed choices
- Reduced incidents of foodborne illness and reduced exposure to unacceptable risks
Raising Food Standards
- Food businesses are in compliance with food legislation and standards
- Relevant data and information that are accessible, accurate and easy to understand
- Food safety as a partnership approach works
- Provision of robust evidence-based scientific information to Government policy makers
Culture of Excellence
- Ireland recognises food safety as a cornerstone for success
- Food safety and integrity are priorities for all food businesses
- Everything connects; people, processes, systems and data
- The FSAI is a recognised leader and partner in food safety
- An enthusiastic, innovative and effective team committed to delivering our vision
- An organisation that promotes human rights and equality in our team and with our partners to fulfil our positive public duty
- A customer-centric organisation; anticipating and offering our customers what they need and when they need it.
Last reviewed: 7/6/2017