Advice line: 1890 33 66 77

Minutes of the FSAI Artisan Forum Meeting 11th May 2016

Present

Wayne Anderson, FSAI (WA) Chair
Darina Allen, Ballymaloe Cookery School (DA)
Sally Barnes, Woodcock Smokery (SB)
Declan Ryan, Arbutus Breads (DR)
Kevin Sheridan (KS)
John Brennan, Leitrim Organic Farming Co-op (JB)
Sean Kent, Poultry breeder (SK)
Jane Murphy, Cais (JM)
Rupert Hugh-Jones (RHJ),
Jeffa Gill, Durrus Cheese (JG)
Eddie O’Neill, Teagasc (EO’N)

Apologies

 

Raymond O’Rourke, Taste Council (RO’R)
Donal Lehane, Food NPD Teo (DL)
Michael Gleeson, Federation of Bee-keepers Associations in Ireland
John Matthews, FSAI (JM)
Tim Camon, FSAI (TC)
Eileen Lippert, FSAI (EL)

In Attendance

 

Áine Brady, FSAI (ÁB)
Dorothy Guina Dornan, FSAI (DGD)
Anne Marie Boland, FSAI (AMB)
Lisa O’Connor, FSAI (LOC)
Tim O’Donnell, FSAI (TOD)
Marian Byrne, DAFM (MB)

1. MATTERS ARISING


Noted: WA informed the group that the agreed minutes from the last meeting are up on the FSAI website.

Bee Health
Noted: There’s still artisan concern with respect to nicotinamide with honey bees. This is an action for DAFM not this group. 

Pesticides and Pesticides Testing
Noted: The issue of processing aids was discussed. Artisan members suggested that metabisulphite was being added as a processing aid in prawns to stop them from going black.

Action: WA will get his colleague Emer O’Reilly to check the legislation and revert back to the group. 

Poultry

Noted: SK met with BH after a previous meeting Regarding vaccination of food animals and alleged food safety issues

Horticulture

Noted: The matter regarding use of pesticides in poly-tunnels was addressed by DAFM.

Definition of Sourdough

Noted: DGD informed the group that there’s nothing within legislation at EU level. Within Industry it depends on the type of sourdough for example if it’s made with yeast or if it’s traditionally made. Germany have guidelines at a national level, France and Australia have similar criteria. DR felt that there are health implications and sourdough should be looked at in pre-packaged products. 

Agreed: DA will set up a sub-group on this issue. 

Action: DR will circulate an EU scientific paper that came from Portugal on gluten free.

 

 

2. AGREE DRAFT AGENDA

Noted: WA went through the draft agenda and it was agreed. 


3. FSAI STRATEGIC PLAN 2016-2018 – WAYNE ANDERSON, FSAI


Noted: WA gave a presentation on the FSAI Strategic Plan 2016-2016 which included the following points:

 

  • The FSAI vision
  • The FSAI mission
  • The values of the FSAI
  • The five strategic goals
  • The FSAI strategic plan
  • The five outcomes


Noted: WA informed the group that the strategic plan is with the DoH for comment before publication. 

Noted: The following issues were raised by the artisan members:

  • Measuring illness from food – measuring success, compare year on year
  • Regulatory input into water – this is not directly FSAI
  • Guidance for EHO’s – when setting up a business the EHO won’t put anything in writing. The group requested that this is looked at further
  • Competence of inspectors – legal obligation under EU law, but is not in FSAI lstrategy. 

Action: DGD to discuss the issue of guidance for EHO’s and follow up with DA.

Action: WA to circulate the FSAI strategy to the group when published. 

 

 

4. DAFM SUPPORTS FOR ARTISAN PRODUCERS – MARIAN BYRNE, DAFM


Noted: MB circulated a page from Food Wise 2025 on Prepared Consumer Foods (PCF) and Alcoholic Beverages Sector where there’s a section on Artisan/Small Food Business. 

Noted: MB went through DAFM supports for artisan producers and the following was raised:

  • Funding for Artisan Specialties – this involves the meat team and is done through a competition with Teagasc. The following are the five themes:
    • Sustainability
    • Human skills
    • Competitiveness 
    • Marketing
    • Innovation
     
  • Bord Bia programmes – marketing grants
  • Food Works – Bord Bia, Teagasc and Enterprise Ireland are involved. It’s for performance start up level
  • Bursaries for UCC diploma in speciality food – there’s four regional centres of excellent. Two free places available for EHO’s. Department of Public Expenditure & Reform have approved this for the next four years 
  • Enterprise Ireland give innovation vouchers for companies that aren’t limited - €5000 paid to 3rd level institutions and the company pays 23% VAT; this is opened to sole traders. MB confirmed that the university does not make money from this, a contract and confidentiality agreement is signed by the company
  • New EU fisheries marketing funds – IM and Bord Bia
  • Leader- this was rolled out last August; it may be tweaked this year as there were a few complaints, and there were issues with with county enterprise boards.
  • Italian cheese export was discussed – there is a policy in Italy to protect producers across the board. Cais are leading on a farmhouse cheese promotion
  • Food Apprentice. 

Action: MB to come back to WA with an update on Leader.

Agreed: MB to keep in touch with the group in a more structured way. 

 

 

5. NUTRITION LABELLING DEROGATIONS AND COUNTRY OF ORIGIN LABELLING – ANNE MARIE BOLAND, FSAI

Noted: AMB gave a presentation on Nutrition Labelling Derogations and Country of Origin Labelling. The following items were discussed:
• Country of Origin (Reg (EU) No 1337/2013 - Applies to prepacked cuts of raw meat from Pigs, Sheep, Goats and Poultry since 1st April 2015
• Origin rules of Reg 1337/2013 - Apply to prepacked cuts of raw meat only
• Voluntary Origin information – All Foods - EU aiming to have regulation finalised by Dec 2016. Possible date of application 1st April 2019
• Nutrition declaration - Mandatory from 13 December 2016 - Exemptions listed in Annex V
• The nutrient mandatory requirement can be downloaded from the FSAI website
• Definition of small quantities

Action: There will be a questionnaire going up on the FSAI website in relation to the definition of small quantities. FSAI will send a copy to the Artisan Forum group. 

Agreed: Definition for local retail establishments was discussed. CAIS will do up a one page document on this and send a draft to FSAI.

Action: Teagasc to look into getting nutritional information on products for certificates. 

Noted: There was a discussion in relation to sugar, with labels stating that there is no added sugar. Folic acid being added to bread was also discussed. FSAI informed the group that they have sent a scientific opinion on this topic to DoH.

6. POSITION PAPER ON STEC TESTING IN EUROPE – JANE MURPHY, CAIS

Noted: JM informed the group that there have been 3 raw milk STEC incidents. EU trade group are working on guidelines that are acceptable to everyone, at present they are on draft 5. CAIS is set up by cheese makers voluntarily, the group wanted to address the issue of STEC. Concerns were raised on how incidents will be dealt with in the future. 

Noted: JM gave an update on FACE, a European network of CAIS. The following items were discussed:
• Submitted a position paper on STEC testing in Europe to the EU. If anyone hasn’t seen a copy of the position paper they can contact JM.
• A draft Guide on Good Hygiene Practice (GGHP) was circulated for comment to all member states.
• Ireland produced a hygiene document to use as a template for Europe. It’s at 2nd draft.
• Microbiological hazard 2073/2005, STEC not included. There is no difference between pasteurised cheese and raw milk cheese in the document. It will be translated into 24 languages for all countries in the EU. It will be followed up with training and guidance to all cheese makers. 

Noted: LOC informed the group that the EU has decided not to go ahead with the guidance document on STEC as they couldn’t get agreement from all member states. We will now have to look at the issue on a national level. The FSAI have appointed a new Scientific Committee, and will get them to look into it. 

Noted: There was a discussion in relation to testing for STEC in cheese. Cheese is tested as ready to eat and meat is tested as raw. There are 2 commercial labs in the process of being accredited. If you’re not pasteurising milk you can’t 100% protect yourself. FSAI will look at control measures for import and export once the Scientific Committee adopts a scientific opinion. 

Noted: There was a discussion in relation to water used for human consumption. HPSC are aware of this issue. WA has also brought the issue up at the Environmental Protect Agency Health Advisory Committee of which he is a member. EPA have a guidance document on water and well up on their website.

Action: WA to look into the possibility of cheese makers sharing information into the Scientific Committee.

7. PROTOCOL FOR ORGANIC AND FREE-RANGE ARTISAN POULTRY PRODUCTION

Noted: DA informed the group of an issue with organic chicken producers in Ireland, currently there are only two. DA uses organic chickens for her cookery school and has to get them processed in Wexford; by the time they get to her they are badly bruised. DA would like to look at slaughtering on a small scale. Would like to look at options that comply with the regulation but doesn’t cost too much. JM has produced a guidance document which SK feels misses the EU regulation.

Noted: There was a discussion in relation to mobile slaughter units that were explored by JM and LB in the recent past. It never took off because of environmental issues.

Action: The process for the mobile units to be looked at again. TOD to look at the EPA opinion on mobile units. JM to discuss this item with JB and set up a group e-mail to get it to the next stage.

8. AMENDING/EXTENDING THE TERMS USED IN THE FSAI MARKETING TERMS GUIDANCE NOTE

Noted: KS asked that the group looked at other marketing terms to be added to the guidance note. For example: freshly baked, free range & farm fresh. WA informed the group that at present this is not on the work plan for FSAI but it is on the agenda to look at all FSAI’s guidance notes.

Action: The forum to put a request for this to be done to the FSAI.

9. BEST PRACTICE FOR SPECIALITY RETAILERS AROUND TEMPERATURE CONTROL FOR CURED AND FERMENTED FOODS (CHEESES, MEATS, ETC.)

Noted: KS is looking into setting up a working group with FSAI & Teagasc to look at best practice for speciality retailers around temperature control for cured and fermented foods (cheese, meats, etc). Terms of guidance at retail level, a more detailed document is needed. 

Action: DGD to come back to KS with a time frame for setting up the group.

Noted: A document from Poland has been sourced on smoking of food. Approval is needed before using the document.

10. A DISCUSSION ON SPECIFIED RISK MATERIAL (SRM)

Noted: There was a discussion in relation SRM andmaking broth with bones. .

Action: TOD to identify someone in DAFM for JBto contact. John will report back at the next meeting.

11. GUIDANCE ON CRUSHING OF BONES AND USING AS FERTILISER

Noted: This agenda item was covered under agenda item 10. 

Action: DA to send a link to JB on research of composting bones that came from America.

12. UPDATE ON CAMPYLOBACTER, NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL

Noted: LOC gave the following update in relation to campylobacter:

 

  • Last year the Minister asked the stakeholders to meet, the meeting was chaired by Patrick Wall. The group will produce a report
  • FSAI Scientific Committee produced a guidance of best hygiene practise at farm level
  • Working with Safefood on guidelines for retailers and customers standards for handling chicken 
  • Reminding everyone not to wash chicken due to cross contamination

13. UPDATE ON SALMONELLA IN DUCK EGGS

Noted: SK updated the group on an outbreak on salmonella in duck eggs that he was involved in. After extensive testing salmonella enteritis was found in the ducks and typhimurium was found in the human sample. The duck came from the UK and they vaccinate. The farm was closed but was reopened a week later after SK wrote a letter to Dr Sammin (DAFM) to explain the situation. WA informed the group that duck eggs are not incorporated in the egg standard produced by Bord Bia. 


14. TEAGASC UPDATE

Noted: EO’N provided an update on Teagasc initiatives that are of interest to the members. These include:

 

  • Completed butchery skills course
  • Farmhouse cheese makers course in Feb
  • Safefood product food and recall – 2 done, 6 to go
  • Product Development will take place in Sept 16
  • Involved in the Small Food Business Start Up
  • Food Works with Enterprise Ireland and Bord Bia 26/27 Enfield?
  • UCC Diploma
  • CIT business and classes – judging food projects
  • Bord Bia cheese awards. 

15. CORRESPONDENCE

Noted: DA informed the group about a local issue with a farmer who used to be a butcher and is trying to get back to making black pudding. He is having problems with fresh blood and is in discussions with the local veterinary officer. WA informed the group that this had been discussed at a previous AF meeting and JM had developed a fact sheet on the issue.

Action: TOD to communicate with DA on this issue. DA to contact DGD in relation to EHO’s.

16. AOB

Noted: LOC informed the group about IUFoST 2016 World Congress of Food Science and Technology that is taking place in the RDS from Sunday 21st August to Thursday 25th August. Members might be interested in the first day which is a Global Food Summit. 

Action: FSAI to send a link with details of the conference to the group.

17. DATE OF NEXT MEETING

Noted: The dates for the next meeting will be arranged by doodle poll. 

 

 

Last reviewed: 21/9/2016

Business Start-up

Food Businesses Image

Training 

training