Biological Safety Sub-Committee
Chair: Dr Geraldine Duffy, Teagasc
Terms of Reference for the Biological Safety Sub-Committee 2016-2020
The Sub-committee operates under the aegis of the Scientific Committee of the FSAI with the following functions:
- To support the Scientific Committee by producing draft scientific reports related to the biological safety of foods, specifically:
a. Risks to the public health arising from exposure to micro-organisms (parasites, bacteria, viruses), microbial toxins and other biological agents (including TSE-related agents) in food.
b. Risk management options related to the risk of biological hazards in food where requested.
c. The content and effectiveness of national surveillance and official monitoring of foodstuffs for micro-organisms.
d. Emerging risks as defined by the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA).
e. Other biological safety matters of interest to FSAI.
- To advise the Scientific Committee on the scientific content of work carried out by other organisations including:
b. European Commission
c. WHO/FAO biological safety committees
d. Other food agencies
e. Academic institutions
- To peer-review scientific reports from the FSAI and provide opinions on legislative matters as requested.
- To advise the Scientific Committee on research gaps and needs in the area of biological hazards in food.
- To undertake any other such work or assessments in the area of biological hazards in food as proposed by the Sub-committee subject to approval from the Scientific Committee.
Last reviewed: 15/7/2016