Chemical Safety Sub-Committee
Chair: Dr Michael O’Keeffe, Residue Specialist
Terms of Reference for the Chemical Safety Sub-Committee 2016-2020
The Sub-committee operates under the aegis of the Scientific Committee of the FSAI with the following functions:
- To support the Scientific Committee by producing draft scientific reports related to the chemical safety of foods, specifically:
a. Risks to public health arising from exposure to chemical contaminants, residues due to use of veterinary medicines, plant protection products or biocides, food contact materials, food improvement agents (e.g. additives, flavourings, enzymes) and processing aids present in food.
b. Risk management options related to the risk of chemical substances in food where requested.
c. The content and effectiveness of national surveillance and official monitoring of foodstuffs for chemical substances.
d. Emerging risks as defined by the European Food Safety Authority
e. Other chemical safety matters of interest to FSAI.
- To advise the Scientific Committee on the scientific content of work carried out by other organisations including:
b. European Commission
c. WHO/FAO chemical safety committees d. Other food agencies
e. Academic institutions
- To peer-review scientific reports from the FSAI and provide opinions on legislative matters as requested.
- To advise the Scientific Committee on research gaps and needs in the area of chemical hazards in food.
- To undertake any other such work or assessments in the area of chemical hazards in food as proposed by the Sub-committee subject to approval from the Scientific Committee.
Last reviewed: 15/7/2016