Public Health Nutrition Subcommittee
Chair: Professor Kevin Cashman, University College Cork
- Dr Annemarie Bennett, Trinity College Dublin
- Dr Cathy Breen, Health Service Executive
- Prof. Lorraine Brennan, University College Dublin
- Prof. Eileen Gibney, University College Dublin
- Dr Laura Kehoe, University College Cork
- Dr Eamon Laird, Trinity College Dublin
- Dr Sinead McCarthy, Teagasc
- Prof. Helen McNulty, Ulster University
- Dr Emeir McSorley, Ulster University
- Prof. Anne Molloy, Trinity College Dublin
- Dr Anne Nugent, Queen’s University Belfast
- Dr Lisa Owens, St James’ Hospital
- Dr Lisa Ryan, Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology
- Dr Audrey Tierney, University of Limerick
- Dr Janette Walton, Munster Technological University
- Fiona Ward, Children’s Health Ireland (Crumlin)
- Prof. Mary Ward, Ulster University
Terms of Reference for the Public Health Nutrition Subcommittee 2021-2025
The Subcommittee operates under the aegis of the Scientific Committee of the FSAI with the following functions:
- To support the Scientific Committee by producing draft scientific reports related to public health nutrition, specifically:
- (a) The nutritional content of food.
- (b) The safety and appropriateness of foods for specific groups and food
supplements in the context of a balanced diet.
- (c) The content and effectiveness of national surveillance programmes for
food supplements and fortified foods.
- (d) Emerging risks as defined by the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA)
with regard to changing food consumption patterns and nutritional risks.
- (e) Nutritional matters referred to the FSAI by the Department of Health.
- To advise the Scientific Committee on the
scientific content of work carried out by other organisations including:
- (a) EFSA
- (b) World Health Organization
- (c) Academic institutions
- (d) Other national advisory bodies working on nutritional matters, e.g. SACN.
- To peer-review scientific reports from the FSAI and
provide opinions on legislative matters, as requested.
- To advise the Scientific Committee on research gaps
and needs in the area of public health nutrition.
- To undertake any other work or assessments in the
area of public health nutrition as proposed by the Subcommittee, subject to
approval from the Scientific Committee.
Last reviewed: 28/1/2022