Brexit Advice for Local Authority Supervised Businesses

Local authorities enforce food legislation in EU approved low-capacity slaughterhouses and in food manufacturers handling and/or processing low quantities of meat, meat preparations and meat products. These premises are supervised and approved by local authorities with controls carried out by veterinary inspectors. 

The food legislation enforced by the local authorities includes general food law, food hygiene, labelling, additives, flavourings, contaminants, and food contact materials. As a food business, it is your responsibility to ensure that the food you place on the market is safe and complies with both EU and Irish food legislation.  

Your food business will be affected by Brexit if you:

  • buy any food ingredients or food products from the UK (excluding Northern Ireland)
  • sell any food ingredients or food products to the UK (excluding Northern Ireland)
  • move any food through the UK (excluding Northern Ireland), either to or from Ireland (transit through the UK landbridge)
  • source food ingredients or food products through an intermediary who sources or brings products from or through the UK (excluding Northern Ireland) 

EU food legislation sets out additional checks, documents and in some cases specific entry points for food imports (from outside the EU) and the requirements can vary depending on the food type.These checks are to protect the safety and health of EU citizens, preserve the integrity of the internal market and enforce compliance with fiscal obligations (duties, indirect taxes). In addition, all food from the UK that is supplied to the EU, will have to comply with EU food legislation. 

Further information on importing food  is available at Brexit information resources  

Exporting to the UK (excluding Northern Ireland)

The UK published a Border Operating Model that outlines the border control processes that will be applied to food arriving into Great Britain from the EU.  On 1 October 2021, the UK will apply new import controls on foods including meat, meat products and certain composite products, including the requirement for these foods to have an export health certificate(s) from the Irish authorities. 

Advice on the process to get an export certification for Local Authority supervised food businesses who export meat, meat products and certain composite products to the UK (excluding Northern Ireland) or use the landbridge through the UK is available here.


Last reviewed: 30/4/2021

Approved Food Establishments 


Food Labelling