HACCP - Your Food Safety Management System
View on YouTube
The word HACCP (Hazard Analysis & Critical Control Point) refers to procedures you must put in place to ensure the food you produce is safe.
These procedures make up your food safety management system based on the principles of HACCP.
Your food safety management system allows you to identify and control any hazards that could pose a danger to the preparation of safe food. It helps you to:
- identify what can go wrong
- plan to prevent it
- make sure you are doing it.
HACCP is a legal requirement but will also benefit your business.
Here are some common questions we get asked about HACCP
If you are responsible for developing and maintaining your business's HACCP based procedures then you must undertake adequate training in the application of HACCP principles.
The FSAI has produced a pack 'The Safe Catering Pack- your food safety management system' to aid businesses in implementing HACCP. Find more details on the Safe Catering pack and how to order.
Where do I start?
- Before developing your system you must have in place appropriate prerequisite programmes (PRPs)
- Gather a team of people from different areas of the business and get started
- Choose a system based on the principles of HACCP that suits your business
Note: If you employ a consultant when developing your HACCP system it is crucial that you and other members of staff are actively involved in the process. A big folder on a shelf is not a food safety management system!
Last reviewed: 7/4/2020