Advice line: 1890 33 66 77

Register Your Business

You have to register your food business with a competent authority before you start operating, even if operating from home. Competent authorities include the local environmental health office (of the Health Service Executive); the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine; the Local Authority; or the Sea-Fisheries Protection Authority.

Which one you need to register with will depend on the type of business and whether foods of animal origin, for example meat, poultry, fish etc., are handled or processed.

Note: Microbreweries must register as a food business with the local environmental health office 

You should make contact with the registering body as soon as possible, as they will advise whether your premises and operations comply with the food hygiene legislation. In particular, if you plan to operate from home you need to make sure that it is suitable for the activities you intend to carry out. Get contact details for the competent authorities

Last reviewed: 13/11/2018

Approved Food Establishments 


Food Labelling