Minutes of the Meeting of the Scientific Committee of the Food Safety Authority of Ireland on Friday 4th December 2020 at 10:30am by video conference
- Prof. Albert Flynn (Chair) [AF]
- Prof. Brian McKenna [BMcK]
- Ms Ita Saul [IS]
- Dr Donal Sammin [DS]
- Dr Mark Fenelon [MF]
- Dr Michael O’Keeffe [MOK]
- Prof. Kevin Cashman [KC]
- Mr Ray Parle [RP]
- Dr Eleanor McNamara [EMcN]
- Dr Wayne Anderson [WA]
- Dr Mary Flynn [MFL]
- Ms Oonagh Lyons [OL]
- Dr Cristina Arroyo-Casabona [CAC]
- Ms Dorothy Guina Dornan [DGD]
- Mr John Matthews [JM]
- Ms Judith Giles [JG]
- Dr Geraldine Duffy [GD]
- Dr Margaret O’Sullivan [MOS]
- Mr John Keegan [JK]
- Ms Paula Barry Walsh [PBW]
- Dr PJ Cullen [PJC]
1. DISCLOSURES OF INTEREST
Noted: There were no disclosures of interest.
2. AGREE MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING (5 November)
Noted: The draft minutes were agreed.
3. MATTERS ARISING
Noted: The Seaweed report and the Vitamin D report have been published.
Noted: The letter from the Baby Feeding Law Group Ireland relating to the Food-based Dietary Guidelines for 1-5 Year Olds report was discussed. A response was agreed, and the report will be amended in relation to infant feeding.
Action: WA/AF/IS to draft a reply to the Baby Feeding Law Group Ireland.
Action: IS/MF/OL to make factual amendments the FBDG for 1-5 Year Olds report.
4. UPDATE FROM BIOLOGICAL SAFETY SUBCOMMITTEE
Noted: Under the Biological Safety Subcommittee, work has continued on the request for advice on “Risk ranking of microbiological hazards from food borne sources in Ireland” through the working group. The WG met on 12 November. There were good discussions on key issues including the work done in recent months on draft calculations of total burden of illness for selected microbial hazards using the DALY approach. A draft report has been prepared by the WG, documenting all work and approaches to date on this request for advice for hand over to the next committee.
5. MAP AND THE POSSIBLE LINKS TO CROHN’S DISEASE
Noted: DS introduced the draft report on Map and acknowledged the work of the secretariat and members. He described the literature review carried out for Q1. He noted that the incidence of Map has increased in dairy and beef cattle since the last review in 2009 and that legislation preventing the sale of raw milk has also been revoked since then. MF discussed pasteurisation and the optimal time-temperature combination. DS also noted various research proposals on Map.
Noted: The Scientific Committee discussed the draft report. Some further detail and explanation are needed on the literature review. The conclusions and recommendations for Q1 will be reviewed and advice to policy makers considered. MF noted that there is no extra data to show that Map survives pasteurisation based on evidence from controlled pilot plant studies. The temperature – time combination needs to be checked and explained. The conclusions and recommendations for Q2 will be reviewed based on the discussions. It was noted that some research proposals would be difficult to do. The report could clarify that the research should focus on exposure and link to causation. Participation in international studies could be considered. DS thanked the Committee for their helpful comments. The report will be revised for the next meeting.
Action: Members to send on comments on the report.
Action: DS/MFL/CAC to finalise the report as discussed.
6. SCIENTIFIC RECOMMENDATIONS FOR FOOD-BASED DIETARY GUIDELINES FOR OLDER ADULTS
Noted: MFL outlined the changes to the revised draft report. These were discussed by the Committee and some additional comments were made: specify the target audience of the report; review headings; include text on caffeine and sleep; include text on salt intake; check orange juice intake and dental health; add in examples of carbohydrates; include a recommendation on free sugars; clarify the recommendation on adding bran to food; explain that a mix of soluble and insoluble fibre is required; explain the term ‘rigorous assessment’; align key issues for vitamin D; include more food sources of zinc. The Committee aims to sign off the report at the next meeting.
Action: Members to send on final comments on the report.
Action: IS/MFL/OL to finalise the report as discussed.
Noted: There was no correspondence received.
Noted: EMcN thanked everyone on the Committee and sent her apologies for the next meeting. The Chair thanked EMcN for her contribution to the Committee.
9. DATE OF NEXT MEETING
Noted: The next meeting will take place on 17 December.