Safe Catering Pack
How to purchase the pack?
The pack costs €70 (this includes €10 postage). The pack contains workbook, pen, a set of nine record books and a DVD. The pack can be ordered online by clicking on the buttons below.
You can also pay by bank transfer. Please contact our advice line for further details. Our advice line operates from Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm on 1890 336677. If you wish, you can also call into our office to purchase the pack using either cash or credit/debit card. In this case the cost of the pack is €60.
Our office is located at Abbey Court, Lower Abbey Street, Dublin 1, D01 W2H4 - see directions to our offices.
Please note that as part of the Government's National Payment Plan, since 19th September 2014 we can no longer accept payment by cheque.
A User Friendly Approach to HACCP
What is the Safe Catering Pack?
The Safe Catering Pack is a tool to help caterers develop a system to manage food safety and comply with the food hygiene regulations. It presents options for businesses to choose how they are going to do this.
The pack has been developed with help and expertise from the food industry and environmental health officers. It is based on the principles of HACCP (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point). HACCP is a process that helps you look at how you handle food and introduce procedures to make sure the food you produce is safe to eat.
Pictured at the launch of the Safe Catering Pack are (l-r): Dr Lisa O’Connor, Senior Technical Executive, FSAI; and Sharon Williams, Training Executive, FSAI
Who is the pack for?
The pack was designed for catering businesses but it may also be used by retailers who have a catering function within their business. It is ideal for businesses that have not yet developed their own food safety management system but may also be used by businesses to improve existing systems.
What does the pack contain?
The pack consists of:
- a workbook and pen (the workbook presents options for businesses to choose how they are going manage food safety)
- a set of nine record books, (e.g. records on temperature monitoring, training, fitness to work and a hygiene inspection checklist) and
- a DVD which explains how to use the workbook and record books.
The workbook is essentially a business's ‘Food safety management plan’ that is literally their ‘plan’ or ‘road map’ as to how they are going to manage food safety for their business. The DVD guides and assists businesses throughout the various elements of the workbook in a motivational and informative manner. Once the workbook is complete businesses manage food safety on a daily basis by using the food safety record books which allows them check that food safety hazards are being controlled.
Extra copies of the records books may be purchased from FSAI, however, the master record sheets are available to download and are on on the DVD.
2012 update to the pack
The pack was updated to take on board feedback received from regulatory and food business users. If you are using the original version of the pack, the main changes are outlined and available for you to download below. These include:
- An extra step to allow businesses to control hazards during transport and delivery. This step is designed for businesses who are delivering products to outside catering operations or other retail/catering businesses. A new record (SC9) has been added to the pack to help with monitoring controls during this step
- New guidance in the preparation and handling step on the use of complex equipment (e.g. vacuum packers, slicers and mixers) that can be very difficult to clean
- Additional information on supplier and customer traceability requirements
- Information on common food poisoning bacteria, including typical symptoms and common food sources
- Minor edits to the current set of records . The most requested updated was the inclusion of a column to record the batch code for food deliveries. If you have the original pack you can now use these records.
The DVD has been updated to reflect these changes.
Preview of the pack
You can watch the 3 minute promotional DVD here which explains the benefits and contents of the pack.
Last reviewed: 16/9/2015