Chair: Dr Andrew Flanagan, Dublin Public Analyst Laboratory
- Mr Alan Breen, Department of Agriculture, Food & the Marine
- Prof. Enda Cummins, University College Dublin
- Ms Jenny Fortune, Health Service Executive
- Prof. Iouri Gounko, Trinity College Dublin
- Ms Rosemary Hayden, Irish National Accreditation Board (INAB)
- Ms Ita Kinahan, State Laboratory (retired)
- Dr Celine Mannion, Department of Agriculture, Food & the Marine
- Dr Declan McKernan, University of Galway
- Assoc. Prof. Tara McMorrow, University College Dublin
- Dr Breige McNulty, University College Dublin
- Dr Finbarr O'Regan, Department of Agriculture, Food & the Marine
- Prof. Fiona Regan, Dublin City University
- Dr Craig Slattery, University College Dublin
Terms of Reference for the Chemical Safety Subcommittee 2021-2025
The Subcommittee operates under the aegis of the Scientific Committee of the FSAI with the following functions:
- To support the Scientific Committee by producing draft scientific reports related to the chemical safety of foods, specifically:
(a) Risks to public health arising from exposure to chemical contaminants, residues due to use of veterinary medicines, plant protection products or biocides, food contact materials, food improvement agents (e.g. additives, flavourings, enzymes) and processing aids present in food.
(b) Risk management options related to the risk of chemical substances in food, where requested.
(c) The content and effectiveness of national surveillance and official monitoring of foodstuffs for chemical substances.
(d) Emerging risks as defined by the European Food Safety Authority.
(e) Other chemical safety matters of interest to FSAI.
- To advise the Scientific Committee on the scientific content of work carried out by other organisations including:
(b) European Commission
(c) WHO/FAO chemical safety committees
(d) Other food agencies
(e) Academic institutions.
- To peer-review scientific reports from the FSAI and provide opinions on legislative matters, as requested.
- To advise the Scientific Committee on research gaps and needs in the area of chemical hazards in food.
- To undertake any other such work or assessments in the area of chemical hazards in food as proposed by the Subcommittee, subject to approval from the Scientific Committee.