Food Allergen Alert Notifications
Food allergen alerts are issued by the FSAI regarding the possible risk to consumers with food allergies or food intolerances from a particular food or batch of food. Reasons why food allergen alerts are issued include, the undeclared presence of an allergen or inadequate/incorrect allergen labelling.
A food alert may also be published for the same food.
All interested parties can subscribe to receive email and/or SMS alerts when an alert notification is issued.
Notify FSAI of a food incident (including undeclared allergens)
The Food Standards Agency UK also issue food allergen alerts associated with food placed on the UK market.
Further Information on Food Allergens
There are 14 food allergens which are specifically covered by EU legislation:
- Cereals containing gluten (i.e. wheat, rye, barley, oats, spelt, kamut or their hybridised strains) and products thereof
- Crustaceans and products thereof
- Eggs and products thereof
- Fish and products thereof
- Peanuts and products thereof
- Soybeans and products thereof
- Milk and products thereof (including lactose)
- Nuts, i.e. almonds (Amygdalus communis L.), hazelnuts (Corylus avellana), walnuts (Juglans regia), cashews (Anacardium occidentale), pecan nuts (Carya illinoinensis (Wangenh.) K. Koch), Brazil nuts (Bertholletia excelsa), pistachio nuts (Pistacia vera), macadamia or Queensland nuts (Macadamia ternifolia), and products thereof
- Celery and products thereof
- Mustard and products thereof
- Sesame seeds and products thereof
- Sulphur dioxide and sulphites at concentrations of more than 10mg/kg or 10 mg/litre, expressed as SO 2
- Lupin and products thereof
- Molluscs and products thereof.
Please also refer to the following:
An advice leaflet for people who have been newly diagnosed with a food allergy, published by the Food Standards Agency, UK.
Last reviewed: 26/6/2018