Skip to main content

Who Looks After My Complaint?

The FSAI does not investigate food complaints directly. Once a complaint has submitted to the FSAI, it will be forwarded on to the appropriate inspector.

If you've made a complaint to the FSAI regarding suspect food poisoning, hygiene standards of a food business or due to finding a foreign object in your food, it will be followed up by an Environmental Health Office (EHO) in the area of the premises in question. See contact details if you wish to follow it up with the appropriate EHO:

  • Dublin/Mid-Leinster (includes Offaly, Laois, Westmeath, Longford, Kildare and Wicklow)
  • Dublin North East (includes Louth, Meath, Cavan and Monaghan
  • West (Galway, Mayo, Roscommon, Donegal, Sligo, Leitrim, Clare, Limerick and Tipperary North)
  • South (Cork, Kerry, Carlow, Kilkenny, Tipperary South, Wexford, Waterford)

Where a food complaint relates to a fish or fish processing premises, the complaint will be referred to a sea fishery protection officer. 

If the complaint relates to a meat or dairy product/processing plant, the complaint may be referred to either the local authority veterinary office or the veterinary inspectors of the Department of Agriculture (DAFM).

If you want to make a complaint about a particular food or food premises, please use our make a complaint form