Skip to main content

Register Your Food Business

You have to register your food business before you start operating, even if operating from home. 

Who to register with?

Who you register with will depend on the type of business and whether foods of animal origin, for example meat, poultry, fish, etc., are handled or processed.

Registration is done through the following competent authorities:

  • the local environmental health office (of the Health Service Executive)
  • the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine
  • the Local Authority Veterinary Service
  • the Sea-Fisheries Protection Authority

Get more information on the types of food businesses and contact details for the relevant local competent authority

Note: Microbreweries must register as a food business with the local environmental health office.

You should make contact with the registering body as soon as possible, as they will advise whether your premises and operations comply with the food hygiene legislation.

In particular, if you plan to operate from home you need to make sure that it is suitable for the activities you intend to carry out.