1. all stages of production, preparation and distribution of organic products and their control;
2. the use of indications referring to organic production in labelling and advertising.
It will apply to the following products originating from agriculture, including aquaculture, where such products are placed on the market or are intended to be placed on the market:
- live or unprocessed agricultural products;
- processed agricultural products for use as food;
- vegetative propagating material and seeds for cultivation.
The products of hunting and fishing of wild animals will not be considered as organic production. The Regulation also applies to yeasts used as food or feed.
Council Regulation (EC) No 834/2007 also requires that the use of the EU-logo is obligatory for all organic pre-packaged food produced within the European Community. However use of the EU-logo is limited to products which contain only, or almost only, organic ingredients in order not to mislead consumers as to the organic nature of the entire product. Its' use will not be permitted in the labelling of in-conversion products or processed foodstuffs of which less than 95 % of its ingredients of agricultural origin are organic.
Further information on organic food in Ireland can be viewed on the website of the Department of Agriculture, Food and Marine.