Food contact materials and articles (FCM) are anything that can be in contact with food.
This includes food packaging but also other materials or articles such as cutlery, straws, chopping boards, conveyor belts and other machinery used to manufacture food, etc.
Food business operators at all stages, from packaging manufacturers and suppliers right down to retailers, have a responsibility for ensuring that the food contact materials (FCM) are compliant with the legislation.
- Check the FCM Factsheet: a summary of all the legislation applicable to FCMs to have at hand.
- Visit the FSAI legislation section for an updated overview of all the legislation applicable to FCMs.
- Check Plastic Food Contact Materials Containing Substances Derived from Bamboo – all substances derived from bamboo, e.g., ground bamboo and bamboo flour, are not currently authorised for use with plastic food contact materials under Regulation (EU) No. 10/2011.
- Learn about the new recycling regulation for plastic materials to ensure the safety of recycled plastic intended to come into contact with food
Do you want to know more?
- Use our e-learning training modules to learn more about this issue. Module 1: Introduction to Food Contact Materials
- Visit our additional resources page for additional information and resources on FCMs. Plastic Food Contact Materials Containing Substances Derived from Bamboo